Monday, December 31, 2007

Reflections: A year end review of my 2007

2007 has come and gone. Just like that, a year has whizz past again and its not suprising to hear many people saying "Huh?, one year already ar?" thanks to the "living-on-the-fast-lane" lifestyle we live by these days. So, after one year what can i say about 2007 other than its been a real good time if i really take a moment to stop and reflect on it. Below are the main highlights of my 2007:

1) Career
The first 3 quarters of the year have been tremendously stressful for me as the "project" reaches its critical moments. That coupled with political changes in the company and with a lot of uncertainty, i really felt like leaving the company and seek other opportunities elsewhere. But after a long struggle, my mentor bailed me out from the ailing IT subsidiary "Forte Tech Solutions" back to the parent company "Pharmaniaga Berhad". (The IT subsidiary i worked at in Cyberjaya for is no longer 100 percent owned by Pharmaniaga as it was sold to UEM Group earlier this year) So it was goodbye Business Development and hello Corporate Development.

Thinking about it now, i think i made the right choice of standing my ground and holding on to my mentor's promised bailed out. My current portfolio is so much challenging and provides ample opportunity to grow myself professionally. The downside of this of course i am no longer in Cyberjaya (my home for the past 6 years), i no longer get to enjoy the company of my ex-comrades at Forte Tech who themselves left for better opportunities and sacrificing my longer sleep time. But i am now being presented the biggest platform to shine and it all depends on me to make it work. My pay now maybe peanuts but i still deeply believe in job satisfaction before the money concept. Afterall, my new experience at Pharmaniaga may be the stepping stone to bigger things yet to come.

2) Performing Arts

2007 has been excellent and expensive too. Starting from the "Phantom of the Opera" the musical, countless theatre pieces at KLPAC to the "Megadeth & Black Sabbath" rock concerts down south in Singapore. I think i've made more trips to Singapore this year than to my kampung back in Kedah. Of course the expensive trips are more than compensated with the priceless views and also the break from the normal routine of either KL or PJ hangouts. Another highlight was that together with Joe, Terry and Kelvin we made a short movie titled "Going Mobile" which was submitted to the BMW Shorts Competition. It was an experience to behold and trust me when i say art movies are easy to make compared to those explosive Michael Bay/Jerry Bruckheimer/Michael Mann/(insert your favorite action movie director) productions. Making a short movie made me appreciate the summer action movies more because its just amazing how they shoot the action sequences and also the super fast editting that make Will Smith look good in Bad Boys. Now if only i have more money than i can make my dream of shooting a scene in Prague a reality...

3) Friends who got hitched
This year also marked many of my friends calendar as the year they got married. I cant believe that i've entered the age zone where people start to get married. What happened to the endless partying days guys? Hehe, anyway congratulations again to Cathlyn, Natalie, Hockage, Rajaie, Brandon and Jean on their weddings. Hahaha, looks like now i can attack their homes for Ang Pau next CNY.

4) Relationships
Aaah, last but not least the topic that everyone bitches about. Now i've always never been good at relationships and so far, it has been nothing but disappointments and heartaches. But the last time i went through any of this shit was way back in 2004 and after telling myself to stay away from this kind of things, it all gave way in August. After 3 years steering clear from trouble, trouble found me at my doorstep and its another emo roller coaster ride. But this time although the duration of it was shorter and we didnt end up together, i've learnt more about myself and also life in those short months compared to all the relationships i've been through in the past. The few things learnt:

a) Shit happens
b) All romantic pursuits end up in tears and heartache except the so-called "The One"
c) There is always a better chick that will catch your attention in the future after the current pursuit fails. Afterall strangers are just friends you've yet to know.
d) Just go with the flow and dont hold back with the feelings. If you dont tell, you'll never get to tell. I'm glad that i did this time around.
e) From time to time, you'll meet someone that will impart important lessons for you to learn so
dont worry too much about finding that someone cause they will surely come to your doorstep and wreck your day. Its just a matter of time.

That being said and done, i'm gonna steer clear from getting involved with any chicks in 2008 as i've grown sick and tired of all the emotional stress and tension. Like Uncle Bob likes to sing "No woman No cry".

Well, 2007 may have been the year of James Bond but 2008 is gonna be my year! Happy New Year!!






1 comment:

mummyei said...

Hi there,
Sorry to disturb just wanna ask is Forte Tech still ailing now since I find that it currently hiring a number of people.