Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Selamat Hari Merdeka!!!

31st August. What does Merdeka Day means to me? Well, for starters a holiday and second my friend's birthday. But more than that, its the date our country gained independence from the Brits. Yeps, for our forefathers it was a day that they have dreamed and fought toe and nail for. Those days were hard but somewhat tough days makes us much more united than it is now.

I still remember the National Day parades back in the 80's and early 90's. The highlight for me was when the Police and Army took their turn at the Dataran Merdeka and i definitely love the flybys from the Air Force jets. As a kid growing up then, i was excited by the affair mostly because school was out and the jets that took part in the parade will fly pass my house. It was an awesome sight of jets above your head outside your home. It was the good old days where 20 cents aiskrim potong rules with Chicadees. It was fun then and how i wish we can return to the good old days where people work hard and actually do things for the country rather than for money and race.

I believe all of us have a dream of a better Malaysia and of course we dont expect Utopia but at least a throw back to the golden days of the 1980's. For my part, i'll do what i can and if all else fails i will still be proud that when i was a kid i loved my country. Happy National Day guys!

No comments: