Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Jakarta Journals: First Impressions

Okay, when I first heard that I will be going to Jakarta for an expo together with the team at the office I was cold and not really keen so much on it. I was like what can Jakarta offer (I had different picture of that place then) but after spending six days there and got back I think I have a much improved impression of the place.

On day one, the moment you step out of the plane it feels like you have just turned back time and go back to the eighties. The Jakarta International Airport has the look and feel of Subang Airport long time ago. It seems time didn’t change much here in this place. On the trip to check in at the hotel, i noticed that most of Jakarta looks very much like KL back in the early 80's with lotsa squatters, i mean alot. The scene is very much Asian with motorcycles squeezing for space with cars and everything else on the road. Even in the cab itself, you will get the idea how hot and dusty the city is. With the air-con at full blast i still sweat and trust me its worst in the open.
We checked in at our hotel which is Alila Hotel at "Pecenongan" area of Jakarta Central. Its a nice boutique hotel with minimalist designs and setting. Its zen for some and plain simple for others (if you are the Four Seasons type) . With our bags chucked at the hotel we went for lunch and also explore our exhibition site at the Jakarta Convention Center.
Next: The Financial Jakarta

No comments: